Note: Last update of this article occurred on October 29th.
Can I travel to Hungary?
As of September 1, 2020, the Hungarian Government imposed new restrictive entry measures to Hungary. These measures are reinstating border control on the Schengen border. The former color code system has been abolished.
Hungarian nationals can enter Hungary after a health screening on the border. Upon entry, they have to go to 2 weeks quarantine. The duration of the quarantine can be shortened by two negative PCR tests, within 5 days, with 48 hrs difference between two tests. Tests cannot be done abroad and beforehand.
The above regulations apply to the following categories of foreign nationals:
- Family members of Hungarian nationals, regardless of nationality
- Any person with Hungarian residency permit and their family members that proven by legal documents.
- Any person holding a long term (over 90 days) Hungarian visa
- Professional athletes or anyone working for a Hungarian sports organization coming back to Hungary from an international sports event proved by official documents
Non-Hungarian nationals – not belonging to the categories above – cannot enter Hungary, with few exceptions.
Foreign citizens might apply for a special entry permission in cases listed below:
- Persons who have to present themselves in front of a court for legal purposes, proven by official documents from a Hungarian court;
- Business travel or work related entry, with an invitation letter signed by either a central governmental administrative body, an autonomous regulatory body or an autonomous state administration body;
- Persons with healthcare appointment, with an official letter from the destination healthcare institution;
- Foreign students studying in Hungarian universities;
- Travel related to freight traffic – foreign nationals can be transported to the place of origin of a transport job and can be taken back home, proven by the employer;
- Attending family events (marriage, christening, funeral);
- Taking care of a relative;
- Attending important international sports, cultural and religious events; or
- Any reasonable reasons beyond the aforementioned points.
Request of entry has to be submitted electronically on the platform at the website of the Hungarian Police. Beyond stating the reason for entry, all requests has to be accompanied with official documents. Groups travelling together may submit one application together. The aforementioned quarantine rules and requirements apply here as well.
The new regulation does not apply to transit freight traffic, entering the country with diplomatic passports and people who can prove that they went through COVID-19 within the past 6 months.
Transit traffic – if the health screening upon entry does not detect any proof of illness – can legally enter Hungary, with a proof of destination. The person has to prove that he is entitled to enter the destination country and other countries on the transit route. During the transit, travellers cannot deviate from the assigned route and have to leave Hungary within 24 hrs.
Business travel of executives and employees working for parent- and subsidiary companies of Hungarian companies are allowed to enter Hungary without restriction if they are in the possession of sufficient proof of business.
Professional athletes (not spectators!) wishing to participate in an international sports event organized in Hungary may enter if they are in the possession of an official invitation by the organizers. Any professional athlete, invited by an official Hungarian sports organization, can enter Hungary without quarantine, if:
- They are in possession of proof of two negative PCR tests within 5 days, and 48 hrs apart;
- If they are acting in accordance with UEFA protocol, which requires one negative PCR test within 3 days prior entry.
Also on Travel Tomorrow
- 5 of the scariest places on the planet
- Belgian chocolatier Pierre Marcolini is the best pastry chef in the world
- Finnair now sells its plane food in grocery stores
NOTE: Regulations below were valid up until August 31st. They might or might not be applicable after the border reopens.
Foreign citizens arriving from abroad from a country marked green can enter without being subject to restrictions. Should persons residing in Hungary detect signs of infection within 14 days following their entrance, they would be forbidden to leave their place of residence and would be obliged to contact the epidemiological authority out of turn.
Foreign citizens arriving from abroad from a country marked yellow shall undergo a medical check upon entry. Those considered infected in the course of the medical check will not be allowed to enter Hungary. Those not considered infected in the course of the medical check will be placed in a quarantine designated by the epidemiological authority or in a mandatory home quarantine.
Foreign citizens arriving to Hungary in passenger traffic from abroad, from a country marked red, cannot enter Hungary.
1. List of European countries marked red
- 🇦🇱 Albania
- 🇧🇦 Bosnia-Herzegovina
- 🇧🇾 Belarus
- 🇽🇰 Kosovo
- 🇲🇰 Northern Macedonia
- 🇲🇩 Moldova
- 🇲🇪 Montenegro
- 🇹🇷 Turkey
- 🇺🇦 Ukraine
For a map with the countries listed go here
2. List of European countries marked yellow
- 🇧🇬 Bulgaria
- 🇳🇴 Norway
- 🇷🇴 Romania
- 🇷🇺 Russia
- 🇷🇸 Serbia
- 🇸🇪 Sweden
- 🇪🇸 Spain
- 🇬🇧 United Kingdom
For a map with the countries listed go here
3. European countries marked green
- 🇦🇹 Austria
- 🇧🇪 Belgium
- 🇭🇷 Croatia
- 🇨🇿 Czech Republic
- 🇩🇰 Denmark
- 🇪🇪 Estonia
- 🇫🇮 Finland
- 🇫🇷 France
- 🇩🇪 Germany
- 🇬🇷 Greece
- 🇮🇪 Ireland
- 🇮🇹 Italy
- 🇱🇻 Latvia
- 🇱🇹 Lithuania
- 🇱🇺 Luxembourg
- 🇲🇹 Malta
- 🇳🇱 Netherlands
- 🇵🇱 Poland
- 🇵🇹 Portugal
- 🇸🇰 Slovakia
- 🇸🇮 Slovenia
- 🇪🇸 Spain
- 🇨🇭 Switzerland
No epidemiological monitoring is needed if the person proves with a document issued in English or Hungarian that (s)he has undergone a molecular biological tests (SARS-CoV-2 tests) within 5 days prior to reporting to entry that meets healthcare professional criteria and was conducted on two occasions in an interval exceeding 48 hours, and such tests did not reveal SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus in his/her body.
Persons placed in designated quarantine or mandatory home quarantine will be registered by the epidemiological authority. The police has no powers to give exemptions from mandatory home quarantine or quarantine ordered, it can only be granted by the competent epidemiological authority issuing the decision.
Hungarian citizens and their family members not bearing Hungarian citizenship (hereinafter together: Hungarian citizens) arriving in passenger traffic from a country marked green can enter Hungary without restrictions.
Hungarian citizens arriving from the territory of a country marked yellow or red shall undergo a medical check.
In case of a Hungarian citizen, should a medical check reveal the suspicion of infection, the person concerned would be accommodated in a quarantine designated by the epidemiological authority or – should it not pose an epidemiological risk – in mandatory home quarantine.
In case of a Hungarian citizen, should a medical check not reveal the suspicion of infection and if the person has a home address or residence in Hungary, (s)he will be placed into mandatory home quarantine for 14 days, while in the absence of home address or residence in Hungary, in a quarantine designated by the epidemiological authority.